by Alex Ashe

The best and worst of Triad police blotters, as compiled


Winston-Salem police officers arrived at a McArthur Street house on the afternoon of June 24 in response to a reported assault with a BB gun. They then learned of an ongoing fight and that gunshots had been fired. The officers found 17-year-old Jashaun Ingram suffering from multiple gunshot wounds in the yard next to the home. Ingram was pronounced dead on the scene. Police also found a 2-year-old girl that had been shot in the leg in a vehicle parked in the street. She was taken to Baptist Hospital and treated for the wound. Ingram and the group he was with were reportedly breaking out windows and attempting to enter the house when shots were fired. Kashif Lang, 19, was charged with voluntary manslaughter and discharging a weapon into an occupied vehicle. This marks the second homicide in Winston- Salem homicide for the year.


Greensboro police were called to the Stonesthrow Apartments on Farmington Drive at about 11:30 a.m. on June 24 after staff members found a suspicious device while cleaning an apartment. The department’s hazardous device team arrived and confirmed that the item was an active pipe bomb. After evacuating some residents, police neutralized the bomb at about 1:30 p.m. No one was injured and police are continuing the investigation.


Shortly after 1:30 p.m. on June 26, Winston-Salem police reported to a North Jackson Street home in response to a claim of a man pointing a large gun at another person. Upon arrival, Officer Mohammed Khan and Assistant Police Chief Barry Rountree reportedly took cover behind Khan’s vehicle when a boxer dog from a neighboring home aggressively charged toward the officers. Rountree fired a shot at the dog, but it missed, ricocheted off the driveway of the neighboring home and bullet fragments struck the owner, Tamara Whitt, in the upper leg. EMS took Whitt to Baptist Hospital, where she was treated and released. Rountree, the incoming police chief at the time, was placed on administrative duty, which is customary for all officers involved in shootings. He was sworn in as scheduled on Sunday.