The best and worst of Triad police blotters, as compiled


Detectives with the Greensboro Police Department have identified two Asheboro men in connection with the gunfire at Elm and Lewis streets on Nov. 8 that left one person dead and four others wounded.

Leonardo Vences, 23, was arrested without incident on Nov. 18 after a motor vehicle stop in Rock Hill, S.C. He is charged Accessory After the Fact for the murder of 28-year-old Mark Shayne Davis who was shot during the incident.

Vences was arrested with the assistance of the York County (S.C.) Sheriff’s Department Anti-Crime Team and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division. Vences waived extradition and will be transported to Greensboro in the near future.

Police have identified Gosafat Rodriguez, 22, as the suspect in Davis’ murder. He has a warrant for arrest for First Degree Murder. He also faces two counts of Assault with a Deadly Weapon with Intent to Kill or Inflict Serious Injury, and one count of Assault with a Deadly Weapon Inflicting Serious Injury in connection with the incident. Rodriguez is not believed to be in the Triad area. Witnesses stated that Davis was involved in an altercation between two groups of people in the area of S. Elm and Lewis streets at approximately 2:35 am on Nov. 8. The incident began after people had left several clubs at closing time, and became engaged in a verbal dispute that escalated to a shooting. Officer J.M. Chavez who fired his weapon at one of the shooters remains on administrative duties while the investigation is ongoing.


Winston-Salem police responded 901 Waughtown Street on a hit and run involving a 12-year-old pedestrian. Officers located the child lying in the entrance way of 901 Waughtown Street (Citgo Gas Station) suffering from an apparent broken leg. The child was running across Martin Luther King Jr. Drive when he was struck. The suspect vehicle, a white Lincoln SUV, was last seen traveling North on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive with minor damage to the front center of the vehicle.

The victim was transported to Baptist Hospital and was treated for injuries that are not considered life threatening. This investigation is ongoing. !