The best and worst of Triad police blotters, as compiled


On Tuesday, officers with the Winston-Salem Police Department responded to a report of human remains being located at 280 Business Park Drive. Upon the officers arrival personnel with Waste Management showed officers what was believed to be a human foot and hand located within recovered recyclable items. Detectives with the Winston-Salem Police Department Criminal Investigation Division responded to the scene to assume the investigation. Medical Examiner’s Office personnel also responded to the scene. After further examination it was determined that the items found were remains of a bear.


Two Greensboro men are now charged with First Degree Murder after a man they allegedly assaulted on Nov. 30 succumbed to his wounds on Dec. 12. Michael Latief Bowers, 17, and Kenneth Bailey Johnson, 20, were originally charged with Attempted First Degree Murder after George William Scott, 63, was bludgeoned in his home at 2401 Spruce Street. The cousins were arrested Dec. 4 after police recovered Scott’s stolen automobile that was involved in a hit and run the same day. In addition to Attempted First Degree Murder, the two were charged with First Degree Burglary, Common Law Robbery, Larceny of Motor Vehicle and Felony Conspiracy. As a result of the upgraded charges, Bowers’ and Johnson’s bonds have been revoked.


Greensboro detectives have determined that both parties fired shots in the Dec. 10 shooting that fatally wounded George Davis David Bishop III, age 68 at the couple’s Larchmont Drive residence. Police were dispatched to the home at approximately 1:10 pm after Brenda Johnson Bishop, 70, called Guilford Metro 911 to report that she had shot her husband.

George Bishop died later that day. Police believe the shooting began as a domestic dispute, which escalated into shots being fired by both parties. Detectives are continuing the investigation to determine the sequence of events in this incident.

There are no previous calls for service to the couple’s home.

Brenda Bishop retired as a lieutenant from GPD on Nov. 30, 1998. !