Archives

Letter for the week of June 6, 2007

by

Sprawl vs. infill

Hey Jordan,

Thank you for the article in the May 30 edition, “Greensboro’s development game.” I hope that many citizens will read the article and vote to change the way the development business is done in Greensboro.This was a well-researched, well-written and honest assessment of one of the problems in Greensboro government.

And it doesn’t happen only in Greensboro. There is an epidemic of this kind of developer-driven “growth” all over the country.

I repeat one of my favorite sayings: “Growth should be driven by need not by greed.”

Thank you again,Diane DavisGreensboro

Creationism vs. transgenderism

Mr.McCauley’s story is very touching indeed [“New life as woman brings discrimination for transgender youth”; Jan. 24, 2007; by Jordan Green], but one fact remains, and that is he is still a man, and he will never be able to bear children the way real women do, and he will never have a period. I think that when God created man and woman, that was what they were meant to be. So no matter how much a man wants to be a woman, he can never be. He can only create that illusion, and the same for a woman wanting to be a man. However I wish Mr. McCauley the best of luck.

Carol BoundsManteca, Calif.

Nuclear waste vs. environmental groups

Waste? Little is wasted when it comes to nuclear energy [“Piedmont Waste Watch”; May 30, 2007; by Amy Kingsley].

The waste they are referring to is the used nuclear fuel, and compared to other energy sources, there is very little waste. In fact, if all of the energy you use in your lifetime was generated by nuclear, the amount of waste would be about the size of a golf ball.

This “waste” is a solid ceramic that is stored in containers that have been subjected to fire, explosions and everything in between, and the containers still demonstrate their ability to remain safely intact.

Best of all, this waste isn’t really waste. Over 95 percent of the used nuclear fuel can be recycled, leaving less than 5 percent for disposal.

Anti-nuclear groups such as the Blue Ridge Environmental Defense League will cry out about the so-called waste being stored on site, but when any attempt is made at recycling it, they will cry out with equal vigor.

They can’t have it both ways. Used nuclear fuel poses little danger being transported on our roadways. And the benefits of reducing the volume and recycling the fuel are substantial.

Michael StuartRichmond, Va.

A delegate weighs in

Thank you for your great article about green buildings [“Green building spreads in Guilford”; May 30, 2007; by Amy Kingsley]. I am combing the nation on this issue, and finding growing evidence of the spread of high performance building technology, especially when it comes to schools and office buildings. I am a state legislator in Maryland, and have been sponsoring bills (so far with minimal success) to require that schools and government buildings constructed with state funds achieve some basic level of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification. Your article is a helpful addition to the growing pile of evidence that the time is ripe.

Best wishes,Bill BronrottBethesda, Md.

Bill Bronrott is a delegate for Maryland’s 16th District

Share: