Letters to the Editor for the week of Dec. 21…
Very good article about George South(‘“’I was famous for getting beat up’: The glorious and tragic story of Carolina wrasslin””; Dec. 14, 2005; by Jordan Green). The old wrestling alliances have an incredible history and those performers have many stories to tell.
Hey man, my name is Cortez and I was just taking a study break for finals and was reading PWInsider and I just want to say great article. I have been a wrestling fan for the entire 29 years of my life. My grandma started me on watching the NWA on Saturday mornings. It is something that I will always be a fan of. I just wanted to say I am originally from South Carolina, but I used to live in the Triad area, for five years (actually Kernersville). I went to NC A&T, I live in the Austin, Texas area now. I never saw or heard of the paper that you work for. Do you guys write interesting things like this all the time? Also is the paper online? Let me know something if you can. Either way eat some good BBQ, because the stuff out here sucks.
Round Rock, Texas
Wrestling articles comments from yesweekly.com
Nice article, but one major mistake. Rip Hawk has not passed away, he’s alive and well in Texas.
Amazing article! Finally, the truth is told about the great days of wrestling in this area. I am happy that a new generation will once again hear the names of Wahoo McDaniel and Black Jack Mulligan. They are treasures from days long gone, days we’ll never see again.
Please tell George South, he just didn’t get beat up, he did his job, and not only did he do his job, nobody done it any better. He is a true professional himself. Please tell him I love him and his article. Thank you for taking the time to interview such a GOOD MAN. HE HAS VALUES, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, HE IS A MAN OF INTEGRITY. Please tell him I said hello and God Bless.
Headline of editorial: ‘“Fluoridated water: Are we slaves to the state?’”, Dec. 14, 2005
Hydrofluosilicic acid is now called fluorosilicic acid and is a commercial grade byproduct of phosphate fertilizer industry. Your county health department will provide you with the AWWA standard, B703-00, issued usually every five years unless an update is needed as in standard B703a-97, where the sentence was added: ‘“The transfer of contaminants from chemicals to processed water or the residual solids is becoming a problem of greater concern.’”
Arsenic and lead are just two of the contaminants. Uranium is in the ore, resulting in the decay-rate chemicals like lead becoming part of the agent.
St. Petersburg, Fla.
In addition to all the above facts, there are some ‘normal’ people, like myself, that are extremely sensitive to any fluorides.
Gastro-intestinal pain, nausea, flu-like symptoms
Extreme tiredness, chronic fatigue
Canker sores, stomatitis
Excessive thirst, polydipsia
Aches and stiffness in muscles/bones, arthritic-like pain
Muscle spasms (involuntary twitching)
Tingling sensations in fingers and feet
Skin rash or itching,
Hearing disturbances, tinnitus
Tendency to lose balance
Muscle cramps and charley horses
Mental confusion, brain fog
Dysphagia: throat feels swollen, hard to swallow at times
Fluoride has destroyed me physically and financially. Stop condemning us to a life of misery.
When all the information about the fluoride scam is told, the American Dental Association will be bankrupt, and the American Water Works Association will be disbanded for negligently promoting a chemical that is ineffective and unsafe, the exact opposite from what they have been advocating and promoting ‘— I suppose if a group can tell a big enough lie and keep repeating it over the years it can take root. This whopper of a lie is being felled by real scientists. God bless ’em!
Aside from the obvious wisdom of NOT using public drinking water as a vehicle to deliver highly cumulative people-treatment substances, consider the following:
1) 90 percent of tooth decay occurs where fluoridation was never claimed to be effective; the pits and fissures of teeth, i.e., the chewing surfaces of the molars. This is why dentists have been applying plastic sealants to these surfaces for decades. A 1929 study by McKay showed that 95 percent of tooth decay occurred in the pits and fissures of molars.
2) In 1993, the Journal of Public Health Dentistry reported, ‘“50 percent of US Head Start children have had Baby Bottle Tooth Decay.’” Fluoridation does not work here either. And nowadays the sippie cup is extending this devastating decay of poor children to epidemic levels. The Denver Post, 4/13/04, illustrates this point; Denver has been fluoridated since 1954 and one dentist reports 300 cases a year of this rampant decay. See keepers-of-the-well.org.
3) Fluoride’s effect is now claimed to be strictly topical (such as toothpaste) rather than by ingestion: ‘“Fluoride incorporated during tooth development is insufficient to play a significant role in caries [cavities] protection.’” Journal of the American Dental Association, July 2000. The CDC concurs.
4) In establishing the lethal dose for test animals (LD50), it takes 20 times MORE natural-occurring calcium fluoride to kill 50 percent of the adult guinea pigs than it takes for any of the three water fluoridation chemicals.
5) In the Aug. 12, 1992 Journal of the American Medical Association, Utah hip fracture study shows that hip fractures were doubled for women at age 75 if they drank fluoridated tap water for a 20 year span prior to their menopause when bone turnover is still rapidly depositing the embrittling fluoride into new bone. The men’s increase in hip fracture was 41 percent. These figures only reflect the 50 percent accumulation into adult bone. Imagine what this figure would have been had these women been raised on fluoridated water since infancy wherein fluoride accumulation is 87 percent!
A book published in 2004, The Fluoride Deception, reveals the details of this 1950’s public health blunder. Fluoridealert.org posts over a dozen reviews of this long-overdue investigative report. Also, clicking ‘“Take Action’” will bring up the online petition in support of the eleven EPA unions who are calling for a nationwide moratorium on fluoridation.
San Jose, Calif.
The writer is the archivist for citizens for Safe Drinking Water.
You say: ‘“Fluoride’… has been touted by scientists since the 1940s as an effective treatment for tooth decay’….’” NOT scientists, but DENTISTS and some physicians. They are not scientists. Scientific evidence, especially findings of the last 10 to 15 years has been clearly against fluoridation and fluoride toothpaste, etc. The attitude of dentists and physicians has been: ‘“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind’s already made up!’” Particularly frightening are findings that skeletal and soft-tissue fluorosis (SF&STF) can occur even when fluoride content of water is 0.7 to 1.0 ppm, and that skeletal fluorosis can occur even in the absence of dental fluorosis, especially in adults.
TS Raman. PhD