Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask politicians and public servants about their jobs. This week, we address questions to the Forsyth County Commissioners. The rules are simple: no research, no callbacks.
Q U E S T I O N S
1. Name one of the three resolutions proposed by County Manager Dudley Watts regarding a reduction in the county workforce on the commissioners’ April 13 meeting agenda?
2. Jane Cole, communications director for Forsyth County, made a presentation during the April 9 commissioners’ briefing session. During the presentation, she said the county school system could potentially lose $4.5 million over the next two years if the NC General Assembly diverts what monies to the state’s general fund? How much did the school system lose in February due to the diversion of these funds?
3. In December, the county commissioners asked the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools to identify potential cuts to its 2008-09 fiscal year budget. What was the dollar amount of those cuts?
Richard Linville, District B
1. One is an incentive for people that are close to retirement to retire early. The other is severance pay, and the other two specifically gives the manager the authority to do certain things as far as reclassification of county positions. [ ]
2. I don’t remember specifically what the state was looking at doing. If the state took certain funding from schools or cut it back some, there might be things the county could not replace, and some of it could be mandated anyway. I don’t know. [X]
3. Right off I don’t remember the amount. [X]
Dave Plyler, District B
1. He was proposing policies that would allow him to work within the framework of his job — severance pay, review vacant positions and whether they should be eliminated or filled. Also, he could give an opportunity to folks to volunteer for early retirement. [ ]
2. It came in the form of a bulletin. I don’t know. [X] I don’t know. [X]
3. No, I don’t know. [X]
Gloria Whisenhunt, District B
1. Voluntary furloughs, retirement incentives, and severance package. [ ]
2. Average daily membership funds [ ]; over $2 million [X].
3. I don’t know. [X]
1. Voluntary furloughs; reclassification and reallocation of county positions; new severance policy to reduce county workforce. 2. Average daily membership funds; $1.5 million.
3. $1.1 million.