Welcome to the Yes! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask politicians and public servants about their jobs. This week, we ask candidates for Greensboro City Council questions related to the region’s economy and people. The rules are simple: No research, no callbacks.
1. What is the term coined by economist John kasarda that means an aviation-centered economic development region? (Hint: It has been applied to Piedmont Triad International Airport.)
2. Did the 2009 state of the City Report prepared for the Greensboro Partnership found that median earnings and per capita incomes in Greensboro went up or down between 2006 and 2007?
3. What percentage of Greensboro’s population is Hispanic or latino, according to the most recent Census estimate?
1. aerotropolis 2. Went up. 3. 6.5
Gordon M. Hester, district 2 candidate
1. our focus will be the development of the Pti area because that will be the hub of the city…. air transportation will develop commerce. [X]
2. it probably went up. [ ]
3. i’ll say maybe 10 percent. [X]
JosePH raHenkaMP, district 4 candidate
1. (no answer) [X]
2. i would say it went down. [X]
3. i surely don’t know. [X]
art Boyett, district 5 candidate
1. Is that the aerotropolis? [ ]
2. i don’t know. i would guess that it went down a bit. [X]
3. I was thinking about calling to find that out. I really don’t know. Probably around 10 percent. [X]