Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask politicians and public servants about their jobs. This week, we address questions to members of the Winston-salem City Council about the upcoming elections. The rules are simple: No research, no callbacks.
1. When does one-stop voting begin for the general municipal election in Winston-salem?
2. What percentage of registered voters turned out for the 2005 municipal elections in Winston-salem?
3. How many municipalities in the state have partisan municipal elections like Winston-salem?
1. Oct. 15
2. 11 percent
3. Out of 551 municipalities in the state, Winston-salem is one of only nine that holds partisan elections.
Wanda Merschel, northWest Ward:
1. It’s like 23 days before. [X]
2. 13 percent [X]
3. I don’t know; we’re the only one in our metropolitan statistical region that does. [X]
Dan Besse, southWest Ward:
1. I think its Aug. 27 for the primary; for the general election, it’s Oct. 15. [ ]
2. It was sorry; I believe it was in the neigborhood of 10 percent. [ -]
3. Fewer than 20; probably closer to a dozen. [X]
ViVian Burke, northeast Ward:
1. I would rather you look that up. [X]