Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask elected officials about their jobs. This week, we address questions to members of High Point City Council about agenda items from their Monday meeting. The rules are simple: No research, no callbacks.
1. Name one item on today’s agenda.
2. Under the pending items section of the agenda, there is a resolution regarding redirecting economic stimulus funds to two areas of the city. What are the areas named in the resolution?
3. Also, there is an item giving the city attorney authority to begin condemnation proceedings of a property in connection with a city improvement project. Name the project.
Mayor Rebecca Smothers
1. The manager is reviewing with us the North Carolina and federal agenda. Then, we’ll be reviewing the amount of money we’re getting from Washington. [ ]
2. I don’t know that there’s going to be any change in our incentive policy. It’s been pending for a while, but we’ve decided to leave it alone for now. There’s been some debate about the areas that would receive the funds. [X]
3. We’ve been acquiring rights of way for a major sewer outfall in the northwest. [X]
Latimer Alexander, at large
1. One of the things is going to be a request from our police department for no parking on ribbon-paved streets. Also, we’re going to discuss our legislative agenda. [ ]
2. Our core city. [ -] 3. We’ve got several things on our agen da that relate to road improvements.
One was Valley Ridge; I can’t recall the other. [ -]
John Faircloth, Ward 6
1. There’s a request that we received from the traffic engineers and the police department to prohibit parking on ribbon paved streets. [ ]
2. The core city as a result of the core city study and southern High Point. [ ]
3. The Old Winston Road project [ ]
1. Consideration of a proposal to purchase chemicals for the city’s water and wastewater treatment plants; resolution to give the city attorney to begin condemn property as part of Old Winston Road Improvement Project; granting the city attorney authorization to demolish dwelling on Pickett Place and authorization to close a house on Valley Ridge Drive; a resolution to adopt an agreement with the NC Department of Transportation; redirecting economic stimulus funds and consideration of new city parking ordinance
2. Core city and south High Point
3. Old Winston Road improvement project.