Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask elected officials about their jobs. This week, we address questions to members of the Greensboro City Council regarding options for waste disposal. The rules are simple: No research, no callbacks.
1. Name one of the vendors proposing to handle the city’s solid waste.
2. Name one of the technologies proposed for handling the city’s waste.
3. What is the amount of annual cost savings Cico LLC contends its proposed plan will realize for the city?
Danny Thompson, at-large
1. Cico. Also Waste Industries. [ ]
2. One is plasma gasification. Ulturnagen. That’s another company. [ ]
3. Cico’s proposal of annual savings city? Approximately $17.2 million. [X]
Jim Kee, District 2
1. Cico [ ]
2. Gasification [ ]
3. Cico’s plan, I think, saves, good Lord, I’ve read so many of them… I am guessing… is it 15 million? [X]
Trudy Wade, District 5
1. [Declined to participate because she has not had an opportunity to review the proposals] [X]
2. [Declined to participate….] [X]
3. [Declined to participate…] [X]
1. Acceptable answers include Advanced Disposal, Cico LLC, Herzog Environmental, MRR Southern, Ulturnagen, Waste Connections, Waste Industries and Waste Management
2. Acceptable answers include plasma gasification, pyrolysis, waste-to-energy and traditional landfilling.
3. $5.2 million