Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz where we ask politicians and elected officials about their jobs. This week, we address questions to members of the Winston-Salem City Council regarding the council’s Monday meeting. The rules are simple: No research, no callbacks.
1. Name one item on tonight’s agenda.
2. The city council was scheduled to consider a resolution regarding the authorization of $22 million in recovery zone facility bonds for four projects. Name the two new projects recommended by city staff for federal funding.
3. True or false? Aboulaye Barry, the owner of Classic Cab Company, has requested the city reduce his taxi certificates of convenience from 30 to 20.
Mayor Allen Joines:
1. A UDO text amendment addressing setbacks requirements; appointments to the Appearance Commission. [ ]
2. Pepper Building and Coe Plaza [ ]
3. True [ ]
James Taylor, Southeast Ward:
1. Approval for special permit for off street parking [ ]
2. Coe Plaza and the Pepper Building [ ]
3. True [ ]
Robert Clark, West Ward:
1. Several rezoning requests, including one for Country Club Road and Waughtown Ave. [ ]
2. The Pepper Building [ ]; the other one is called City Plaza. [X]
3. I know we’re going down 10; I’m going to say that’s true. [ ]
1. Several public hearings on zoning petitions; amendment to the city’s Unified Development Ordinance; reducing taxi certificates for Classic Cab Company; approval of Recovery Zone Facility Bonds; appointments to Community Appearance Commission.
2. Coe Plaza Project and the Pepper Building Project.