Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask elected officials about their jobs. This week, we address questions to members of the Winston-Salem City Council about items on the agenda for its Monday meeting. The rules are simple: no research, no call- backs. This quiz was administered before the meeting.
1. The NC Department of Transportation is recommending lowering the speed limit on Princeton Street, Racin Drive, Ruth Avenue and Ruth Court from 35 mph to what?
2. What is the name of the proposed four-lane boulevard that would connect Stadium Drive to 3 rd Street and serve the Piedmont Triad Research Park?
3. An item on tonight’s consent agenda deals with the city’s acceptance of a $261,000 Justice Assistance Grant. How will the funds be divided between the Winston-Salem Police Department and the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office?
James Taylor, Southeast Ward:
1. I’m almost sure that it’s 25 mph. [ ] 2. Research Parkway [ ] 3. 50 percent for WSPD; 50 percent for Forsyth Sheriff’s Office. [ ]
Denise D. Adams, North Ward:
1. 25 mph. [ ] 2. Research Parkway. [ ] 3. I’m going to say 50-50. [ ]
Molly Leight, South Ward:
1. 25 mph. [ ] 2. Salem Connector. [X] 3. It’s 50-50 split. [ ]
1. 25 mph
2. Research Parkway
3. The Winston-Salem Police Department and Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office will divide the grant funds evenly, with each agency receiving $130,587.