Welcome to this week’s YES! Weekly Pop Quiz. This week’s questions are directed to the Guilford County delegation of the NC General Assembly. The rules are simple: No research, no callbacks.
1. According to the Guilford Education Alliance, how much is the state legislature planning to reduce public school funding for Guilford County for 2011-12?
2. How large is the funding gap for the state employees health insurance plan?
3. Rep. Garland Pierce’s House Bill 871, entitled “Root Out Poverty/ Task Force” proposes to do what?
Sen. Stan Bingham (R-Davidson, Guilford) 1. I can’t answer that because I’m not on education. I’m chairing health. I don’t know that they would know that. [X] 2. Thursday we got a copy of what the House had did to health insurance for state employees. I haven’t had a chance to read through the details. [X] 3. It hasn’t gone to the house committee. I could make a guess just based on the title. [X]
Rep. Marcus Brandon (D-Guilford) 1. I think it’s going to be $9 million dollars? I don’t know, it could be different. [X] 2. Your questions have gotten harder! $515 million. [ ] 3. I have not read that bill yet. I know that representative Pierce does a lot of work around reentry in our justice system. [X]
1. The Guilford Education Alliance stated in a press release that Guilford County schools would face a $35 million budget cut next year.
2. $515 million
3. It would create a poverty task force with two positions aimed at reducing statewide poverty.