Welcome to this week’s YES! Weekly Pop Quiz where we ask elected officials about their jobs. This week’s questions are directed to members of the Forsyth County Commission regarding the $40 million library bond that was approved by Forsyth voters last year. The rules are simple: No research, no callbacks.
1. During a Sept. 12 meeting commissioners approved a tentative schedule for the construction of a new central library and renovation/construction of branch libraries in Clemmons and Kernersville. True or false: According to the schedule, the earliest bonds could be issued for a new central library would be July 1, 2015?
2. According to the adopted schedule, when will meetings begin to gain public input on the new central library?
3. True or false: It will take up to nine years to complete construction of a new central library and renovations/construction of branch libraries in Clemmons and Kernersville?
Walter Marshall, District A 1. True. That’s what we voted on but the timetable could be changed. [X] 2. October 2011. [ ] 3. True. [ ]
Everette Witherspoon, District A 1. False. From my understanding, it’s 2014. [ ] 2. They can be held right away as soon as all the preliminary work is done. [ ] 3. True. It could take up to 10 years. [ ]
David Plyler, District B 1. True and false. Everything is tied to the debt ceiling; if we decide to stick to the debt ceiling, it will be 2015. [ -] 2. They are saying within the next 90 to 120 days but that is only for the central library. [ ] 3. 10 years from the time the vote was taken. [ ]
1. False. Under the approved schedule, the earliest bonds will be issued for the construction of a new central library would be July 1, 2014.
2. Public meetings are slated to begin as soon as next month.
3. True. The projected completion date for all three libraries is September 2020.