Welcome to this week’s YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, in which we ask elected officials three questions about their jobs. This week’s questions are addressed to members of Winston-Salem City Council in advance of the Monday meeting. The rules are simple: no research no callbacks.
1. Name one thing on the agenda for Monday’s meeting.
2. What is the name of the global nutrition company that is requesting $2.3 million in incentives from the city to up-fit the old Dell facility to create an East Coast manufacturing facility, with an investment of $53.6 million and the creation of 493 new jobs paying an average annual salary of $40,194?
3. How much money is the city considering spending on new sidewalks, a retaining wall, landscaping, street lighting and storm-water piping to support an office-building development at 4th and Broad streets?
James Taylor Jr., Southeast Ward
1. I know the finance committee approved an incentives package for Herbalife, and that should be coming forward to the full council. [ ]
2. That is Herbalife. [ ] 3. I’m going to say $100,000. [ ]
Dan Besse, Southwest Ward
1. The Herbalife incentives proposal. [ ]
2. Herbalife. [ ] 3. That’s just over $100,000. [ ]
Robert Clark, West Ward
1. Well we got some condemnation of some houses. [ ]
2. Herbalife. [ ] 3. I think it’s around $104,000. [ ]
1. Correct answers include an incentives request by Herbalife, city funds to improve infrastructure in support of a development project at the corner of Broad and 4th streets and a proclamation recognizing the Winston-Salem State University Rams football team.
3. $100,810 (any figure within 10 percent is scored as correct)