Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask politicians and public servants about their jobs. This week, we address questions to members of the Guilford County School Board. The rules are simple: no research, no callbacks.
Q U E S T I O N S
1. The board has approved revised action plans to be submitted to the state for which schools that are designated as low performing?
2. Who is the contractor and what is the cost of construction for Phase 2A of Jamestown Middle School?
3. What North Carolina high-school football team is the reigning 3-AA state champion?
Sandra Alexander, at-large
1. I don’t have all of them right in front of me so I might not get them all: the Academy at High Point Central, the Academy at Smith, Montlieu, Vandalia and Northeast. [ -]
2. Oh gosh, why are you doing this to me, Jordan? It seems like it was 3 million-plus, and the contractor was — was it Miller? No…. I can’t think. I have been up 24 hours. [ -]
3. Dudley [ ]
Paul Daniels, District 5
1. I have to give you all 10 off the top of my head? Let’s see here: the Academy at Smith, Ferndale Middle, Gillespie, the Academy at High Point Central, Andrews, Northeast, Vandalia… that’s all I can come up. [ -]
2. The Phase 2 for middle school was — it’s the same one we had on Phase 1 and it’s about, I’m thinking $1.6 million…. Ah, I can’t tell you. I had a long night last night. [X]
3. That’s easy. I can get that one. That’s Dudley. [ ]
Kris Cooke, District 7
1. The schools that are designated as low performing: The Academy at Smith, the Academy at High Point Central… oh gosh, I didn’t get home until midnight. I don’t memorize all that stuff. Ferndale. Andrews. I know there’s some elementary schools, and I’m trying to think who that is…. It’s Gillespie. I know there was one in High Point. That would probably be Montlieu. Northeast [High School]. [ -]
2. I know it’s Atlantic Contracting, and it is — the total is $6 million — I believe that it was about $3 million. [ -]
3. Dudley [ ]
A N S W E R S
1. Andrews High School, the Academy at Central, Ferndale Middle School, Montlieu Math & Science Academy, Oak Hill Elementary in High Point; the Academy at Smith, Gillespie Park Elementary, Vandalia Elementary in Greensboro; and Northeast High School in McLeansville
2. New Atlantic Contracting; $4.0 million
3. Dudley High School
* Source: “Guilford County Board of Education Meeting Summary,” released Jan.