Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, in which we ask elected officials about their jobs. This week’s questions are posed to members of the Guilford County Commission. The rules are simple: No research, no callbacks.
1. Name one of the three grants approved at the March 17 meeting.
2. True or False: Regarding county boards, commissions, committees or authorities, any member who fails to attend at least 70 percent of meetings, unless otherwise excused, shall be removed.
3. With regard to local foods, North Carolina has started a campaign that voluntarily commits Guilford County’s workforce to purchase what percent of food locally?
Bill Bencini (R) 1. Grant for the program on aging and/or the medical social services programs. [X] 2. I believe that’s true. [X] 3. 10 percent. [ ]
Paul Gibson (D) 1. I don’t know. I’m doing my taxes. What’s the next question? [X] 2. True. [X] 3. 10 percent. [ ]
Kirk Perkins (D) 1. I don’t know. [X] 2. True… There’s no benefit in this [pop quiz]. We look stupid enough on our own without you all trying to trip us up. [X] 3. (No response) [X]
1. The Hazardous Materials Emergency Planning Grant, the State Homeland Security Grant, or the Juvenile Crime Prevention Council Grant would’ve sufficed for a correct answer.
2. False. The threshold is 75 percent.
3. 10 percent.