Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask politicians and public servants questions about their jobs. This week we asked members of the Guilford County Board of Education questions about American independence. The rules are simple: The candidate must answer immediately – no research, no callbacks.
1) Which side won the Battle of Guilford Courthouse?
2) Who commanded the American forces? The British?
3) How many North Carolinians signed the Declaration of Independence? Bonus: Can you name any of them?
Dorothy “Dot” Kearns (At large)
1) The British. (â)
2) Gen. Greene the American or Revolutionary forces and Cornwallis – I think it’s Cornwallis. (â)
3) I don’t think any did immediately. I think North Carolina was one of the last states to sign. I’m going to say… two? (x)
Walter Childs III (District 1)
1) I don’t know. (x)
2) I don’t know. (x)
3) I don’t know. (x)
Deena Hayes (District 8)
1) Wow. Can you tell me who was battling? I’ll say, just in the name of hopefulness… the Americans? (x)
2) I don’t know (x)
3) Two (x)
1) The British
2) Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene and Lt. General Charles Cornwallis
Bonus: William Hooper, Joseph Hewes and John Penn