Primary election FAQ

Q: What if I don’t have time to vote on May 8. Are there other opportunities to vote?

A: Yes, early voting runs through Saturday, May 5. Visit the websites for the Guilford County Board of Elections ( or Forsyth County Board of Elections (co.forsyth. for times and locations.

Q: Can I vote in the primary if I’m registered as an unaffiliated voter?

A: Yes. You may ask for a Democratic, Republican or Libertarian ballot at the polling place.

Q: Are there any nonpartisan races on the ballot?

A: Yes, elections for superior court judg, district court judge and school board are nonpartisan. Also, everyone has the opportunity to vote on the marriage amendment.

Q: What if I’m not registered to vote or I no longer live at the address where I am registered? Can I still vote on May 8?

A: You may early vote through May 5, or go to the current precinct to be transferred to a new precinct on May 8. If you’re not registered or your registration is out of date you can register and vote at the same time Q: Do I need to present picture ID to vote? A: No, you only need to state your name.

Q: Can I vote if I have a criminal record as a felon?

A: Yes, once you complete your sentence, including probation, you may vote. But you must register again after completing your sentence in order to restore your right to vote.

Q: Can I vote in Guilford or Forsyth if I’m here as a college student?

A: Yes, you can declare your new address as home and vote in early voting. Or you can request an absentee ballot from the board of elections at your old address (in most cases, that would be your parents’ residence) and vote there. But you have to choose one or the other. Voting in two places in the same election is a serious crime.

Q. Is it too late to request an absentee ballot in North Carolina?

A. Yes, the deadline to request absentee ballots was 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 1. But you may appear in person for early voting — which is often called “one-stop absentee voting” — through May 5.