Archives

[SCUTTLEBUTT]

by Jordan Green

ITEMS FROM ACROSS THE TRIAD AND BEYOND

GREENSBORO COUNCIL CALLS QUICK MEETING ON TEEN CURFEW

The Greensboro City Council announced plans to meet on Wednesday morning at 9:30 a.m. to discuss reinstating the teen curfew. After several small fights involving young people downtown on June 29, leading to 11 arrests, council is planning a brief public meeting.

A rumor circulated last week prior to the arrests that council would be taking another look at the curfew, but numerous council members including Mayor Robbie Perkins said they hadn’t heard anything about it.

Police spokesperson Susan Danielsen said that of the 11 people arrested downtown between 11:30 p.m. Saturday, June 29 and 1 a.m. on Sunday, June 30, one was 16 years old, five were 17 years old, four were 18 years old and one was 20 years old. Four smallscale fights along Elm Street near Center City Park resulted in the arrests on a variety of charges including assault on a law enforcement officer and inciting a riot.

“We did have to use pepper spray and we did have to physically restrain some people and [there was] one use of a Taser,” Danielsen said. “We also responded to a call of ‘shots fired’ in that area. We had an officer who saw and heard a muzzle flash.”

There were no injuries in the apparent use of a firearm, she said, and the incident appeared to be separate from the fights. None of the small-scale fights were related, as far as police could determine, and there was nothing police could identify that united the participants or a mass of people at the park other than age.

Danielsen said between 300 and 400 young people were gathered at Center City Park playing music and hanging out, adding that despite some news reports there was no riot. She was unsure if the incidents were an anomaly or part of a pattern of smaller issues with young people downtown at night, saying she’d have to check the data.

“As the weather gets nicer you expect more people to be outside,” Danielsen said. “It’s kind of the natural rhythm to have more events occur in the summer. We’re looking at a lot of options because this is not just a police responsibility.” — EG

UNCSCHOOL OF THE ARTS WARNED BY ACCREDITING AGENCY

UNC School of the Arts has been placed on warning status by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges for the next 12 months. A press release last week from Provost David Nelson said the association cited five unspecified areas of concern.

Nelson emphasized that the school remains accredited and is not on probation. The association is the recognized regional accrediting body for 11 Southern states, including North Carolina.

Beginning Monday Nelson took control as acting chancellor of the school. The former chancellor, John Mauceri, had announced last fall that he would work his last day on June 30. The press release said Nelson will serve in the post until James Moeser, former chancellor of UNC-Chapel Hill, takes over as interim chancellor of the school of the arts at an unspecified date.

Nelson said the school of the arts is committed to resolving issues with the association favorably and expressed assurance that the school “provides an excellent education,” as evidenced by many awards. — JG

Correction YES! Weekly reported in “Greensboro council approves budget” last week that council memebers Zack Matheny and Tony Wilkins voted against a loan for Black Network Television. In fact, councilwoman Nancy Hoffmann and Wilkins were the two dissenting “no” votes, while Matheny voted in favor of the item. We regret the error.

Share: