Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask politicians and public servants about their jobs. This week, we address questions to members of the Forsyth and Guilford delegations to the NC General Assembly. The rules are simple: no research, no callbacks.Q U E S T I O N S
1. April 15 final payment state tax collections fell by what percentage this year, compared to last year, according to a consensus revenue estimating process between Fiscal Research and the Office of State Budget and Management?
2. How many months does the General Assembly’s chief economist estimate that it will take for the economic recovery to begin?
3. When is the earliest year that the General Assembly’s chief economist projects that revenue collections might “return to longterm growth patterns”?
Rep. Pricey Harrison (D-Guilford)
1. 40. That was a startling number. [ ]
2. Wow. I know that, I’m thinking. We’re 17 months into this recession. I think he’s estimating that the recovery will begin in the fourth quarter, which would be that be September. Although I’m told from Fiscal Research today that we’ve got a $4.6 billion shortfall for 2008-2009, and $6.4 billion for 2009-2010. We’ve got to have to find another 1.5 billion. I guess we’re talking four to five months. [ ]
3. The only number I remember that we would be looking at 2013-2014 budget. [X]
Rep. Maggie Jeffus (D-Guilford)
1. Seems like it was around 39 point something. [ ]
2. I think the predictions right now are from four to six months. [ ]
3. I’m thinking it’s going to be beyond 2011, maybe 2015. [ -]ANSWERS
1. 39.7 percent
2. Four to six
Shame: The following lawmakers did not return calls: Sen. Peter Brunstetter (R-Forsyth), Sen. Linda Garrou (D-Forsyth), Sen. Katie Dorsett (D-Guilford), Sen. Don Vaughan (D-Guilford), Rep. Larry Brown (R-Forsyth), Rep. Dale Folwell (R-Forsyth), Rep. Bill McGee (R-Forsyth), Rep. Earline Parmon (D-Forsyth), Rep. Larry Womble (D-Forsyth), Rep. Alma Adams (D-Guilford), Rep. John Blust (R-Guilford), Rep. Earl Jones (D-Guilford) and Rep. Laura Wiley (R-Guilford)