Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask elected officials about their jobs. This week, we address questions to the newest members of the Greensboro City Council. The rules are simple: No research, no callbacks.
1. What is the population and demographic breakdown of Greensboro?
2. How many votes will it take to approve a zoning change affected by the protest petition?
3. What is the single biggest problem facing the city that you believe you can affect?
1. 257,997 (10,000 margin of error); 55.5 percent white, 37 percent black, 4.4 percent Latino, 2.8 percent Asian (2 percent margin of error)
3. Have at it
Nancy Vaughan, at-large
1. I think the population is around 256 [thousand] [ ]. The Demographic breakdown… huh… 50 percent white, 35 percent African American, 15 percent other. [ -]
2. Seven [ ]
3. Morale in the police department [ ]
Jim Kee, District 2
1. I think it’s around 250, 260 thousand [ -]. Not sure, I’d have to guess. I would guess probably 60 percent Caucasian, maybe 25 percent African American and 12 percent Hispanic and the remaining would be other. [X]
2. I believe that’s seven [ ]
3. Economic development [ ]