Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask elected officials about their jobs. This week, we address questions to members of the Winston-Salem City Council about their perspective on the holiday season. In the spirit of the season, the rules are suspended.
1. What gift would you like to receive for the holidays?
2. What are you giving back to the less fortunate in this holiday season?
3. Do you believe in Santa Claus?
Mayor Pro Tem Vivian Burke, Northeast Ward
1. Blessings for the people I represent in this city and the people in this country and the world, that they be blessed with good health, good minds and jobs.
2. I give back through the year. I don’t wait until the season. I donate time, money and food. I participate with quite a few of the agencies that raise money to meet our community’s needs. I do that from my heart, gladly.
3. As a former educator, I always told the children that Santa stands for goodness. The many opportunities that we are afforded in the United States, the best country in the world — that is Santa Claus.
Robert Clark, West Ward
1. Oh my goodness. I’ve asked my wife for a GPS system. And probably a couple sweaters. And that will probably be it. I’m not going to tell you peace on earth and all that.
2. My wife works at the Food Bank of Northwest NC. And we do a lot with that. We do some extra things around the holidays.
Derwin Montgomery, East Ward
1. Nothing. I’m actually pretty good. For others, there’s a lot of other folks that need things more than I do, like the Salvation Army.
2. Personally, I work with a couple of organizations. We’ve adopted a couple of families for the holiday season, to give them some things they wouldn’t be able to get without assistance, so they can have the normal Christmas like everybody else.
3. Not in the traditional form of Santa Claus, but I think everybody has a little Santa Claus in them.