The best and worst of Triad police blotters, as compiled by Joe Murphy


At about 7:30 p.m. on Memorial Day Greensboro police responded to a robbery alarm at Jimmy Johns on Stanley Road. Jon Newell Daniels, 40, reportedly poured gasoline stored in a Gatorade bottle onto the counter and register, and threatened to ignite it with a lighter unless employees gave him money. He proceeded to take the entire cash register and flee in a gray SUV with Virginia plates. Not long afterward a vehicle matching that description was located at the Cavalier Inn on West JJ Drive. Police tracked down Daniels in a room at the motel. He barricaded himself in the bathroom and told officers he had a gun. Daniels proceeded to set the bathroom on fire while he was still inside it, causing the police to evacuate the building. Eventually, overcome by smoke and fumes, he surrendered. Daniels was arrested on an outstanding warrant for fraud and charged with arson. He was taken to Moses Cone Hospital and later transferred to Baptist Hospital to receive treatment for smoke inhalation. The inci- dent is still under investigation.


Greensboro police responded to a call for service at a Mornstar Place residence in January to investigate a report of child rape. Christian Israel Levanderia-Hernandez was later charged with five counts of first-degree rape of a child and six counts of indecent liberties with a minor.

The police report that Levanderia-Hernandez has been convicted, has received a sentence of 16-20 years in prison, and will be deported once he fin- ishes his piece.


Greensboro police officers responded to a burglary alarm at Rankin Elementary on Sunday. When they arrived, four children were found inside the building. The juvenile intruders ran away from the building when they heard the cops, heading towards Oberlin Drive. All of them were charged with felony breaking and entering, felony larceny and resist, delay and obstruct.


The 200 block of East 2 nd Street in Winston- Salem was closed for about two hours on Memorial Day in response to the discovery of a suspicious package on the side of the roadway.

The police department’s bomb squad went into action. They were able to determine that the package was not a hazardous device and disposed of it safely. East 2nd Street’s 200 block was closed for about two hours while the matter was handled.