by Jordan Green

The best and worst of Triad police blotters, as compiled by Jordan Green

Everyone trusts basketball coaches

The UNCG Police Department reports receiving several calls about a suspicious man asking students for money on campus. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound man, whose demeanor is described as professional and polite, reportedly tells students he is a basketball coach from Charlotte who is stranded and needs money for gas. UNCG Police have identified the man as Reginald Lamard Torrence. The police released surveillance photos of Torrence driving a dark Dodge pickup and a white, four-door 1989 Honda Accord.

Fire prompts police to end standoff

Greensboro police showed up at a house on Bennett Street to check on a man who reportedly made statements that he wanted to harm himself at about 5 p.m. on March 8. They found 42-year-old John Earl Waynick barricaded in his residence. The police helped other residents leave the house and called in the special response team, negotiations team and hazard devices team. While police attempted to negotiate with Waynick they observed smoke and flames coming from the house. The police took that as their cue to go in the house. They put out the fire and took Waynick into custody, reportedly saving his life. Waynick was taken to Cone hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Unwelcome guest

An unidentified man was sitting in a car in the parking lot near the Wal-Mart Supercenter in northeast Greensboro on March 10 when a black man wearing a gray hoodie and boots, also unidentified, got into backseat. The unwelcome guest brandished a small gun and demanded money. The unidentified man gave some kind of property to the backseat interloper and the gun went off for unknown reasons hitting the victim in the “upper extremities.” The gunman jumped out and ran off. The victim was taken to Wesley Long Hospital in a private vehicle and treated for a non-life threatening wound.

Man dies of gunshot wound, found at Adams Farm apartment complex

Greensboro police found 26-year-old Antonio Terrell Davis of High Point suffering from a gunshot wound in a parking lot in the Madison at Adams Farm at about 5:30 on Monday. Davis was taken by ambulance to High Point Regional Hospital, where he later died. Police are actively investigating the incident, and no person of interest has been identified. Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 336.373.1000.