Eight great things to do in the Triad: April 27-29
1. From April 27-29 in Greensboro, GSOFest or “townie Christmastime” begins with GSOFest Friday pt 1: Joe G’s Cover Explosion at The Blind Tiger playing hits from The Replacements, Prince, Blondie, The Cult and Foreigner. GSOFest Friday pt 2: Sick and Heavy Hangs takes place at Corner Bar, featuring local bands: Essex Muro, Saucer, Dick Wolf and The Bronzed Chorus. On Saturday, the festivities continue with GSOFest Saturday pt 1: Brunchtime Hangs at Boxcar Bar + Arcade featuring Michael Joncas, Josh Crocker, Harrison Barrow. GSOFest Saturday pt 2: Afternoon Rocknroll Delight takes place at OPOTW studios DIY space and features The Quarter Roys, Lightweight, Vaughn Aed, Bob Fleming and The Cambria Iron Co. and Old Heavy Hands. GSOFest Saturday pt 3: Tasty Dance Beats finishes Saturday night at Bites and Pints Gastro Pub with WOWNOW, Tide Eyes and Transport 77. On Sunday,
GSOFest Sunday pt 1: Pop-punk Hangover Special takes place at Westerwood Tavern, and features Blueberry, Basement Life, Instant Regrets and Echo Courts. GSOFest Sunday pt 2: Goodnight, GSOFesters at Corner Bar and features Harrison Ford Mustang, Totally Slow and Ebon Shrike.
2. On April 27 in High Point, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The Vino Shoppe (located at 3800 Tinsley Dr, Ste 103) is hosting Poppin’ Corks and Popcorn Wine Tasting. Sample wine, popcorn, and vote for your favorite pairing. According to the Facebook event page, the pairings include, Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio- Lime & Salt Popcorn, Bianchi Sauvignon Blanc- Salt & Pepper Popcorn, J Lohr Chardonnay- Butter Popcorn, Domaine Houchart St Victoire Rosé- Parmesan & Garlic, Annabella Pinot Noir- Chocolate Popcorn, Milbrandt Cabernet Sauvignon- Cheddar Cheese. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
3. On April 28 in High Point, the High Point Museum is hosting Brewtastic! Fermentation is the Name of the Game. According to the Facebook event page, this is in collaboration with the North Carolina Science Festival. “What do wine, sauerkraut, cheese, beer, kimchi and yogurt all have in common? They’re all made with fermentation!” Join the High Point Museum and Rockingham Community College Center for Brewing Sciences to explore how fermentation works, learn about its history and how humans have long used the science of microbes. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
4. On April 28 in Winston-Salem, from 10 a.m. till 1 p.m. Colony Urban Farm Store (located at 492 West End Blvd.) will host a plant-based protein bar sampling. Meet Holly and Shane from A Small Seed Protein Bars and sample their plant-based protein bars at Colony Urban Farm Store. According to the Facebook event, the available flavors are peanut butter, brownie, cookie dough and nut-filled.
5. On April 28 in Greensboro, from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. The Loaded Grape (located at 2915 Battleground Ave. Unit F) will host a free wine tasting. Surry Cellars is the label for wine produced at Surry Community College through its viticulture and enology program. This will be a free tasting of some of the wine being produced through this program. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
6. On April 28 in Winston-Salem, from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Washington Perk Southside (located at 228 W Acadia Ave.) there will be a Drag Car Wash. Come get your car, truck, jeep, or RV washed by Pride Winston-Salem Drag Queens and volunteers. This is a fundraiser for Pride Winston-Salem with a $10 minimum donation. For more information, visit the website.
7. On April 29 in Greensboro, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Get: Outdoors Paddlesports (located at 1515 W. Gate City Blvd.) is hosting its annual Women On The Water Spring Season Celebration. There will be food, lots of door prizes (of classes and gear from the shop both co-ed and women’s as well as door prizes from local shop Wild Birds Unlimited) and a chance to find out about the new season of GO WOW. They will have live bluegrass music by Cornbread Revival, and local winery Stonefield Cellars will be on hand to provide a free wine tasting. This is not just for the ladies, this is for everyone: family, friends and dogs! According to its website, GO WOW: is an encouraging, supportive environment for women to learn how to kayak on flat water and beyond.
8. On April 29 in Winston-Salem, from noon to 6 p.m. don’t miss Hops & Shop: A Camel City Craft Fair’s Spring Fest. According to the Facebook events, there will be over 100 local and regional vendors selling high-quality handmade, antique, vintage, and repurposed goods at Foothills Brewing and Tasting Room, located at 3800 Kimwell Dr.