Road Closures for “Festival of Lights” Holiday Event
GREENSBORO, NC (Nov. 22, 2016) – Portions of Washington Street and other roads in downtown Greensboro will be closed on Friday, Dec. 2, as the city celebrates the holidays with the “Festival of Lights”. More than 5,000 people are expected to enjoy the event.
Police will stagger street closures in the festival area.
- Beginning at 12:30 pm, Davie St. between Friendly Ave. and Bellemeade St./Summit Ave. will be closed. An exit lane from the Renaissance Building parking deck will allow exiting traffic to go north on Davie St.
- Beginning at 3:00 pm, the northern most lane and parking spaces on Friendly Ave. between Davie St. and Elm St. (next to Center City Park) will be blocked to traffic
- Beginning at 3:00 pm, McGee St. from Elm St. to Davie St. will be closed
- At 3:30 pm, Elm St. between Friendly Ave. and Gate City Blvd. will be closed to vehicular traffic. February One Pl. will be closed from S. Greene St. to S. Davie St. W McGee St. will be closed from Greene St. to the traffic circle to S. Elm St. Smothers Pl. will be closed from S. Greene St. to S. Elm St.
- From 7:00 pm until approximately 9:30 pm, Friendly Ave. will be closed from Church St. to Elm St. for the tree lighting ceremony
Market St. and Washington St. will remain open to traffic. Parking restrictions will be present throughout the area.
Motorists are encouraged to be extra cautious in these areas. Motorists and pedestrians are reminded that the police officer’s hand and arm signals take precedence over all other traffic control devices.
Roadways are expected to be open by 11:00 pm.