8 great things to do in the Triad: Dec. 20-22
1. On Dec. 20 in Greensboro, catch a free screening of The Grinch (2018) in LeBauer Park, 208 N. Davie St., for Downtown Greensboro Parks, Inc.’s Holiday Movie in the Park. According to the Facebook event page, “Bundle up in your coziest gear and come out for some family fun time with our Holiday Movie in the Park, presented by Truliant Federal Credit Union. Snuggle with your loved ones on LeBauer’s Great Lawn, as we watch the latest Grinch movie (2018, PG). Enjoy coffee and treats from food trucks, a bit of shopping with local vendors, and more!” The event kicks off at 4:30 p.m. so viewers can find a seat. There will be a pre-show screening taking place at 6:30 p.m. The movie is free and will end at 8:30 p.m. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
2. On Dec. 20 in Greensboro, don your tackiest Christmas or holiday sweater and head to Boxcar Bar + Arcade, located at 120 W. Lewis St., for its Skrewball Sweater Party! The sweater competition sign up begins at 8:30 p.m., and judging starts at 9 p.m. According to the Facebook event page, “The Best Couple will win a complimentary standard room with breakfast for two people for a one-weekend stay at the Greensboro Marriott Downtown. The bearer of the Best-Decorated Beard or Mustache will win a holiday Swag Bag + other prizes. The Best Overall Holiday Sweater or Costume will also go home with a holiday Swag Bag + other prizes.” Drink specials include “festive cocktails made with Skrewball Peanut Butter & Jack Daniel’s Apple Tennessee Whiskies!” More details to come, so visit the Facebook event page.
3. On Dec. 20 in Greensboro, check out Naughty or Nice? Holiday Burlesque Show at Vintage to Vogue, located at 530 S. Elm St. “We’ve got a little bit of nice and a whole lot of naughty packed into this burlesque & more show. If you’ve never seen improv burlesque, prepare to be amazed,” the Facebook event page states. This show is sponsored by Adam and Eve and features performances by Stage Slave Gavin, Queen April, Mona Loverly, Nikki St Sin, and Scott Hinzman. Tickets are $12 and can be purchased on Eventbrite or at the door.
4. On Dec. 21 in Greensboro, head to Scuppernong Books, located at 304 S. Elm St., from 11 a.m. until noon for the monthly Queen’s Storytime, co-hosted by Stonewall Sports. This month’s guest reader is Heidi N Closet, who will be reading “Sneezy the Snowman” and “Listening With My Heart.” A free craft will follow storytime. According to the Facebook event page, “This event is meant to promote love and acceptance, celebrating one’s differences. To children, Drag Queens & Kings appear as something out of fairy tales. Both children and drag queens enjoy a shared interest in dressing up, wrapping themselves in all things shiny and glittery, and using their imagination.”
5. On Dec. 21 in Winston-Salem, the Elevated Weirdo Holiday Game Show will take place at Monstercade, 204 W. Acadia Ave., from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m. According to the Facebook event page, “Santa’s dead, so we got Ronald McDonald! Come battle each other in weird games in order to win X-Mas presents! Come early to sign up for the festivities.” The cover charge is $5 at the door, and the game show starts at 9 p.m.
6. On Dec. 21 in Winston-Salem, the Young Democrats of Forsyth County and the LGBTQ Democrats of Forsyth County is throwing a Holiday Party from 7 to 10 p.m. at 1128 Burke St. According to the Facebook event page, “Come celebrate all the accomplishments of this year for the LGBTQ Dems and co-hosted with the Young Dems. We’ve been working hard to bring equal rights and increase voters in North Carolina. BYOB (if you’re over 21) or beverage of choice (if you’re underage or sober) and a dish to pass. Or make a holiday donation.” There will also be a drag show at 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. featuring yours truly as Roy Fahrenheit, along with performances by Andy Drodge, Velma Violet, Betty J, Que West-Carter, Barbara Reddy and Diana Grey Addams. Admission is free, but don’t forget to tip the entertainers! For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
7. On Dec. 21 in Kernersville, Krampus is making his rounds in the Triad and his next stop is at Breathe Cocktail Lounge, located at 221 N. Main St. According to the Facebook event page, “Krampus is coming to Kernersville for Winter Solstice. Come have your picture taken at our Krampus photo booth (in the style of the event image) on December 21, 2019, from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. at Breathe Cocktail Lounge. Photos are $15 each (edited and emailed on-site). No selfies allowed.”
8. On Dec. 22 in Greensboro, get ready for another night of drag performances with Beers, Bells & Babes at Twist Lounge, located at 435-M Dolley Madison Rd. The night is hosted by Betty J and includes performances by Heidi N Closet, Velma Violet, SophieBot 5000, and Shelby Savage! There is no cover and shows are at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.