8 great things to do in the Triad: Oct. 11-13
By: Cassidy White
1. From Oct. 11-13 in Winston-Salem, it is the last weekend to enjoy the Dixie Classic Fair! The fair is open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday and Sunday and from 9 a.m. until 11 p.m. on Saturday. Admission for adults (12+) is $10, children (6-11) are $5, and children under 5 years old get in free. The fair is located at 421 W. 27th St. in Winston-Salem. For more information, please visit the Facebook event page or go to dcfair.com.
2. On Oct. 11 in Winston-Salem, it’s the opening night of the Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance‘s production of “The Rocky Horror Show!” According to the website, “That sweet transvestite and his motley crew did the time warp, and they’re back for a revival. Complete with sass from the audience, cascading toilet paper and an array of other audience participation props, this deliberately kitschy rock ‘n’ roll sci-fi gothic is more fun than ever.” The show will start at 8 p.m., and the Winston-Salem Theater Alliance is located at 1047 Northwest Blvd. Tickets cost between $16-$18. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
3. On Oct. 11 in Winston-Salem, head to Reboot Arcade Bar, located at 534 N. Liberty St., for its Krull Arcade Release Party! The party starts at 9 p.m. and lasts until 2 a.m. According to the Facebook event page, “Krull! It was a…movie! The OTHER laser-sword movie. It had a mountain that was really a spaceship or something. It was like medieval times but in space somehow. SOOO much quicksand. But it did have the absolute dopest ninja star in the universe, the glaive! I dunno it was so freaking weird. Anyway, they made an arcade game!” This super rare game will be making its debut at Reboot, and if you can score the highest points by the end of the night, you could win a 24-inch by 36-inch movie poster. There will be specialty cocktails and food trucks to keep the party going. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
4. On Oct. 12 in Greensboro, join Guilford County Parks for their 16th annual Fall Festival from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. The event will be held at Bur-Mil Park, 5834 Bur-Mil Club Rd., and includes music, a pumpkin patch, food, and more. Admission into the event is free, but it is important to keep in mind that “some vendors may be cash only,” according to the Facebook event page. For more information, visit the website.
5. On Oct. 12 in High Point, Ilderton Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram will host a Boo Bash Carnival! The event will take place at High Point Parks & Recreation, 602 W. Main St., from 3 to 7 p.m. There will be activities such as trunk or treat, a creepy carousel, mini-golf as well as food from vendors. Tickets cost $5, and for more information, please visit the Facebook event page, or call (336) 833-3498.
6. On Oct. 13 in Winston-Salem, The Willingham Theater Advisory Council will partner with the New Winston Museum to show a sports-themed Story Slam. The event will take place at ARTC Theater, 110 W. 7th St. The doors will open at 4 pm., and tickets can be purchased beforehand for $5 or $7 at the door. Visit the Facebook event page for more information.
7. On Oct.13 in High Point, head to Ingram’s Strawberry Farm, 6121 Riverdale Dr., for its Fall Festival from 1 until 6 p.m.! According to the Facebook event page, “Zoo City will be providing music, there will be some educational opportunities and lots of fun and games. The tractor will be waiting to take you to visit the pumpkin patch, where you can find the perfect pumpkin for your front porch. Don’t forget the animals. Come visit Bert and Thelma’s new babies along with all of the other animals.” First Baptist Church will be providing food, and The Dessert Barn will have sweet and other goodies. There will also be local crafters there will display their art. Ingram’s Strawberry Farm is a cash/check only operation, and no pets are allowed (only registered service animals).
8. On Oct. 13 in Greensboro, head to Chemistry Nightclub, located at 2901 Spring Garden St., for the monthly Greensboro Drag Brunch! This month’s special guest entertainer is Dahlia from the Boulet Brothers‘ Dragula Season Two; other performers include Kay Kay Lavelle, Saniya Chanel, Giselle Carter, Mrz. Ivy Carter, Sophibot 5000, Anjelica Dust, and Bentley Balenciaga. There will be a brunch buffet by PorterHouse Burger Company, raffles, contests, prizes, drink specials, and more! There are two seatings at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. According to the website, it is encouraged to arrive 30 minutes early, and tickets are $15 for entry and $12 for a brunch plate. For more information, visit the website.