8 great things to do in the Triad: Oct. 4-6
1. From Oct. 4-6 in Winston-Salem, check out the Out at the Movies International LGBT Film Festival! On Friday, there will be an opening night screening of the movie 5B at 7 p.m., followed by the INSPIRE Award Presentation and the nightly reception at 9 p.m. taking place at the Wake Forest Byrum Welcome Center, located at 1834 Wake Forest Rd. There will also be a late-night drinks reception at Fair Witness Fancy Drinks, 204 E. 4th St. On Saturday from 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. catch movies on the University of North Carolina School of the Arts campus at the Main Theatre, Gold Theatre and Babcock Theatre, located at 1533 S. Main St. The nightly reception on Saturday will be held at Black Horse Studio, located at 310 E. 3rd St. from 9-11 p.m. with late-night drinks at Fair Witness from 11 p.m. until 2 a.m. On Sunday, catch screenings from 12:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on the UNCSA campus, with the Closing Awards Party taking place at 10 p.m. at Jeffrey Adams, 321 W. 4th St. Flex pass tickets for five films are $41. For more information, tickets and a full list of the films, visit the website.
2. From Oct. 4-6 in Winston-Salem, enjoy downtown shopping at the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership’s Shop The Block! Participating retailers include the snob shop, Sophisticated Florals by Stephanie, Doggystyle Pet Provisions, Hair Bomb Salon, URBN grl, Wood & Thread Boutique, The UPS Store, Body and Soul NC, Trouvaille Home, Dye Pretty Salon, Mast General Store, Glass Door Salon & Spa, North Trade Street Arts, Kindred Spirits, Fourth and Trade, Studio 7, The Escape Salon, Black Mountain Chocolate, ArtConnections, Eyecarecenter in Winston Salem, Fiber Company, Camel City Goods Co., PAZ Studios, The Tea Box At North Trade Street Arts Center, Red Dog Gallery, Studio 2 BEAD SHOP , Jewellery Unique Gifts & Accessories, The “B” String, Piedmont Craftsmen, Visual Index, Imagine Flowers, Keona’s Boutique & Hat Shop, Oumy African Hair Braiding, Old Winston Barber & Style Co., Gallery VI, Salem Organic Supply, Camel City Hemp, Canteen Market & Bistro, Monique Michelle the Studio, ARTC Theatre, Moji Coffee and More, Major Tomms, Eyes on Trade and a/perture cinema.”A free Coupon Book comprised of each of the participants’ deals along with a complimentary tote bag will be available at each participating retail outlet,” the Facebook event page states. “Shop the Block deals are valid October 3rd – October 6th, 2019. Coupons and deals are subject to change, excludes tax. Please check with individual retail stores on hours of operation. Coupons/deals are subject to availability. [Coupons are] not to be reproduced. No cash back and additional exclusions may apply. If there is an error on this page, the official retail deal/coupon at the retail store is correct. Please check with the retail store prior to shopping if you have questions about the coupon/deal.”
3. On Oct. 4 in Winston-Salem, head to the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds & Annex, 421 W 27th St., for the opening of the Dixie Classic Fair! From 11 a.m. until 11 p.m., check out all the rides, food and other attractions that the Dixie Classic Fair has to offer. According to the Facebook event page, the fair runs until Oct. 13, and the hours of operation are Sunday – Friday, 11 a.m.–11 p.m. and Saturdays – 9 a.m.–11 p.m. Gate admission for adults (ages 12-64) is $10, children (ages 6–11) is $5, children (5 & under) is free and senior adults (65 & over, with ID) is free. For more information, visit the Facebook event page, or check out our cover story in this week’s issue.
4. From Oct. 5-6 in Kernersville, from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m., head to Smith Hollow Farm, located at 5920 Smith Hollow Rd., for a kid-friendly corn maze, pumpkin patch, hayride, face painting, animal viewing, horse rides (5 years and older) and more! Admission is $10 for adults and $8 for kids ages 10 and under, according to the website, included in admission is “unlimited corn maze, unlimited hayride, face painting, animal viewing, 30+ activities.” For more information, visit the website.
5. On Oct. 5 in Greensboro, from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m., the Westerwood Neighborhood is holding its 10th annual Art & Sole Studio Tour and Art Walk! According to the Facebook event page, “The artists of Greensboro’s Westerwood neighborhood open their homes/studios to show their paintings, fiber art, photography, mixed media, pottery, woodworking, drawings and more! Art will be for sale, bands will play, lots of fun to be had.” For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
6. On Oct. 5 in Winston-Salem, head to the BB&T Ballpark, located at 951 Ballpark Way, for the Big Sip Craft Beverage Festival and Chili/Stew Cookoff! From 1 to 6 p.m., sample over 100 different craft beverages from breweries, wineries and distilleries such as Appalachian Mountain Brewing, Bull City Ciderworks, Broad Branch Distillery, Westbend Winery and many more. The chili/stew will come from local restaurants such as Bib’s Downtown, Butcher and Bull, Foothills and more. There will also be live music, vendors and a silent auction. Attendees must be 21 years and older and tickets are on sale online starting at $45. For more information and for a full list of participants visit the website.
7. On Oct. 6 in Greensboro, from noon to 5 p.m., take a stroll in the Arboretum, located at 401 Ashland Dr., for Art in the Arboretum! According to the Facebook event page, the event is “a juried art and fine craft event featuring 47 artists from throughout the region exhibiting their hand-crafted offerings in an outdoor gallery. There will be entertainment on three stages, interactive art activities, Art Bark, nature and gardening exhibits, honey bee exhibit, two food courts, Garden Quest and beer and wine for sale.” Admission is free and more information can be found on the Facebook event page.
8. On Oct. 6 in High Point, check out The Market, located at 141 W. Lexington Ave., and its First Sunday Outdoor Event from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. According to the Facebook event page, there will be over 30 small businesses present, prizes, cakewalk, fall decorations, live music, stocked bakery, gifts, vintage treasures and much more!