Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask politicians and public servants about their jobs. This week, we address questions to the Winston-Salem City Council. The rules are simple: no research, no callbacks.
Q U E S T I O N S
1. During its Feb. 16 meeting, the city council voted 7-1 to extend the deadline for the Silk Plant Forest Citizen Review Committee’s final report to be pushed back from March 17 to what date?
2. In his Jan. 29 letter to Mayor Pro Tem and Public Safety Committee chair Vivian Burke, Silk Plant Forest committee chairman Guy Blynn cited two outstanding items the group hoped to include in its final report to city council? What were those two items?
3. According to City Attorney Angela Carmon, how many days does former Winston-Salem detective DR Williams, the lead investigator in the Silk Plant Forest-Jill Marker assault case, have to respond to the city council’s subpoena? When is a court hearing on the matter scheduled?
Dan Besse, Southwest Ward
1. June 30 [ ] 2. A review of the transcript of Kalvin Michael Smith’s motion for appropriate relief hearing held in Forsyth County Superior Court last month; a report of the committee’s interview of former Det. Williams. [ ] 3. 30 days [X]; I don’t recall [X].
Molly Leight, South Ward
1. June 30 [ ] 2. Transcript from Kalvin Michael Smith hearing; report of committee’s interview with former Det. Williams. [ ] 3. 30 days [X]; 30 days from the time the subpoena is served [X].
Wanda Merschel, Northwest Ward
1. June 17 [X] 2. Report of committee’s interview with former Det. Williams; interview with Kalvin Michael Smith. [partial credit] 3. 10 days [√]; I believe there was a tentative date based on delivery of the subpoena. [X]
A N S W E R S
1. June 30 2. The transcript from Kalvin Michael Smith’s Motion for Appropriate Relief; interview with former Detective DR Williams. 3. 10 days; March 23.
COUNCIL MEMBERS WHO DID NOT RESPOND TO POP QUIZ: Mayor Allen Joines Mayor Pro Tem Vivian Burke, Northeast Ward Nelson Malloy, North Ward Robert Clark, West Ward Evelyn Terry, Southeast