Welcome to the YES! Weekly Pop Quiz, where we ask politicians and public servants about their jobs. This week, we address questions to the Winston-Salem City Council. The rules are simple: no research, no callbacks.
Q U E S T I O N S
1. Name one of the two changes made to the list of municipal projects that could be funded under the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act of 2009, which were approved by the city council during its March 23 meeting. 2. Name one of the four alternative fuels projects identified by city council for federal funding at the March 23 meeting. 3. Name one of the public safety priorities identified by the council for funding under the ARRA during the March 23 meeting.
Dan Besse, Southwest Ward
1. Stormwater management grant [ ]
2. Expanded biodiesel fueling stations [ ]
3. Hiring of 66 new police officers [ ]
Robert Clark, West Ward
1. Streetcar engineering grant [ ]
2. Conversion of city’s fleet to natural gas cars [ ]
3. Construction of new fire stations [ ]
Evelyn Terry, Southeast Ward
1. I know they were additional competitive grants. I believe there was one for greenways. [X]
2. Increase in hybrid city vehicles [ -]
3. New evidence storage unit for police department. [ ]
1. Stormwater management grant, streetcar engineering grant
2. Expandedbio-diesel fueling stations for public use, expanded compressed naturalgas fueling stations for city vehicles, increase conversion of city’sfleet to natural gas powered vehicles, expanded natural gas fueling stations for public use
3. Hiring of 66 new police officers, public safety training and evidence storage facility, new Tasers, new firing range; materials on youth gang prevention.