Eight great things to do in the Triad: May 4-6
1. On May 4 in Winston-Salem, celebrate the Star Wars holiday at Reboot Arcade Bar (located at 534 N. Liberty St.) from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m with Star Wars-themed drink specials. According to the Facebook event page, folks can enjoy arcade games and pinball while the bar screens all the Star Wars movies on its big screen. There will also be a costume contest at 11 p.m. for a chance to win a prize as well as a Solo Tower Challenge, where participants stack Solo cups to build a tower.
2. On May 4 in Greensboro, check out the newest photography exhibition at The Green Bean (located at 512 B S. Elm St.) of Steven Messina and Stephen Marks from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. “Stop by this beautiful May 1st Friday to enjoy the photography of 2 local artists with some music and of course, the delicious libations you’ve come to expect from The Green Bean,” stated the Facebook event page. After the exhibition, Messina said there will be salsa dancing at Limelight (located at 113 N. Elm St.).
3. On May 4 in Greensboro, “your local radical street drum band” Cakalak Thunder will be making noise at Elsewhere Museum (located at 606 S. Elm St.) to raise money for Black Mamas Bail Out Action. According to the Facebook event page, “For the month of May, members and supporters of Southerners On New Ground are locally bailing out Black mothers and caregivers who are sitting in cells because they cannot afford bail.” From 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., Cakalak Thunder will be performing and from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. there will be a meet and talk about donating. Elsewhere is also hosting a First Friday: Bounce-House Gallery featuring Elsewhere’s spring interns debuting their exhibition that they have worked for three months on. According to the Facebook event, artists and friends Kyra Gross, Nava Levenson and Riley Kleve collaborated on new work based on by their time working and living at Elsewhere Museum. “Expect to bounce around with video, sound & soft sculpture in an irregular point of convergence where new possibilities for play & living happen within a constantly moving space. Our curated bits of culture & irregular rhythms present several contradictions of weight, space & movement in an easily assembled gallery space – we hope you enjoy it.”
4. On May 5 in Greensboro, come out to support reforming marijuana laws with NC NORML from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. The march will start at Jake’s Billiards (located at 1712 Spring Garden St.) and go down Spring Garden to the University of North Carolina Greensboro campus. There, the organization will hand out flyers for its “lobby day event in Raleigh.” According to the Facebook event page, participants should bring their own pre-made signs and the march will end back at Jake’s Billiards.
5. On May 5 in Winston-Salem, Southside is having a Spring Fest! According to the Facebook event page, there will be live music, games, food and fun with the events beginning at Swaims/Washington Perk Southside (located at 232 W. Acadia Ave.) at 1 p.m. featuring The GB’s and The Funk Better Band. There will be beer from Foothills on tap and a Battle of The Bars: Cornhole Tournament (please register your team with Jon Engel before Saturday). At Southside Beer Garden & Bottle Shop (located at 2108 S. Broad St.), Suitcase is playing and they will be having a Jon Engel Birthday Celebration at 5 p.m. At Monstercade ( located at 204 W. Acadia Ave.), Amnesia with DJ Mauve Angeles, Disqo Volante and 30 Year Sick will be playing starting at 9 p.m. “Come join us on the Southside and see what all the fuss is about.”
6. On May 5 in Winston-Salem, join Alma Mexicana (located at 480 Patterson Ave.) in celebrating its very first Cinco De Mayo from 11 a.m. to midnight. According to the Facebook event page, Alma Mexicana is partnering with the Hispanic League to help raise money for its scholarship program. “We will have a variety of fun activities, margaritas, food, DJ music & dancing,” stated the event page. “Join us to celebrate & support a great cause!”
7. On May 5 in Winston-Salem, join Millennial Night and The Ramkat (located at 170 W. 9th St.) as they host Tequila & Tacos: Cinco de Mayo from noon to 4 p.m. There will be music, drinks specials, food trucks and the event is FREE (however, you must RSVP).
8. On May 5 in Greensboro, head to Bites and Pints (located at 2503 Spring Garden St.) from noon to 3 p.m. for a Cinco de Mayo patio party. There will be live music by J. Timber, Joel Henry and Chuck Mountain.