Greensboro Science Center Celebrates World Oceans Day
GREENSBORO, NC — On Saturday, June 8 from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., the Greensboro Science Center (GSC) is celebrating our oceans with special activities designed to commemorate World Oceans Day. Guests are encouraged to come dressed in their best Hawaiian shirt and sun hat to celebrate this year’s theme: Together We Can Protect and Restore Our Ocean.
Participants will learn how we can work together to create cleaner oceans and a better future. Activities include a creek clean-up, a bubble station, crafts, educational aquarium talks, and fun giveaways. Octonauts and Dr. Seuss coloring pages, as well as ocean-themed temporary tattoos, will also be available.
In addition to the activities outlined above, partners from throughout the community will be on site offering additional activities and demonstrations, including:
- Greensboro Recycling will show guests how to reduce use of single-use plastics.
- Stormwater SMART will allow guests to explore human impact on the water cycle.
- Air Awareness will demonstrate light bulb efficiency.
- Greensboro Water Bar will offer samples of water sourced from across the county.
- Reconsidered Goods will show guests how to make recycled plastic bottle cap lei necklaces.
- Haw River Assembly will join GSC staff in leading a creek clean up and macroinvertebrate study.
Educational talks throughout the day include:
- 10:00 a.m. – Penguin Feeding
- 11:00 a.m. – Shark Reef Dive
- 3:30 p.m. – Penguin Feeding
- 4:00 p.m. – Shark Reef Feeding
World Oceans Day activities are free with general admission or GSC membership. General admission is $14.50 for adults ages 14 – 64, $13.50 for children ages 3 – 13, and $13.50 for seniors ages 65+. Children 2 and under are free.
# # #
About the Greensboro Science Center
The Greensboro Science Center is a premier family attraction in North Carolina that offers the state’s first accredited inland aquarium, a hands-on science museum, an accredited Animal Discovery Zoological Park, a state-of-the-art OmniSphere Theater, and SKYWILD, an animal-inspired treetop adventure park. The GSC is also NC’s only dually accredited AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums) and AAM (American Alliance of Museums) science attraction – an honor only 14 attractions in the nation can claim. The Greensboro Science Center is located at 4301 Lawndale Drive in Greensboro and is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization. For more information, visit www.greensboroscience.org