Moonstruck Summer at Kaleideum: Daily activities and a Moon Rocks Party During July and August
WINSTON-SALEM, NC (July 1, 2019) — On July 20, 1969, the first human from planet Earth stepped onto another world.
Now, 50 years later, Kaleideum is celebrating the anniversary of this “giant leap for mankind,” NASA’s Apollo 11 mission to the Moon, with Moonstruck Summer. Almost daily throughout July and August, visitors can be a part of special planetarium shows; interactive learning stations; and Moon-inspired storytelling, theatre, and crafts.
The highlight of Moonstruck Summer is an out-of-this-world Moon Rocks party for ALL AGES on the 50th anniversary of the Moon landing, July 20, from 6 to 10 pm. At this event, you can explore the wonders of the Moon, remember the voyagers in space that got us there, and anticipate the exciting journeys yet to come!
- Countdown to the exciting launch of a Saturn V model rocket!
- Watch the captivating documentary Apollo 11, which recently screened in theaters nationwide!
- Listen to the real-time audio feed recorded as astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon!
- Get a taste of something out-of-this-world with Stoo and his friends in a pop-up performance of Peppercorn Theatre’s new play, Stoo’s Famous Martian-American Gumbo!
- Make your own groovy tie-dyed bandana!
- Dance to tunes by Carolina Crossing, a six-piece band that covers a wide variety of genres… including ’60s pop and rock!
- Sample two ’60s classics: Tang and Moon Pies from our friends at Lowes Foods Reynolda Road!
- View the stars through professional telescopes with Forsyth Astronomical Society!
- Rock out to Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon laser show!
Plus door prizes, science demonstrations, and planetarium shows. Food is available for purchase, including dessert from the Ice Queen. Cash bars will be hosted by Foothills (beer and wine) and Mayberry Spirits Distillery (mixed drinks and non-alcoholic specialty drinks). Retro attire is encouraged!
Purchase tickets in advance at www.kaleideum.org for a discount and easy check-in! Adults $10; Youth (ages 1-19) $5. (Children 11 months and under are free.)
Ticket prices at the door: Adults $12; Youth (ages 1-19) $6. EBT cardholders may purchase tickets at the door for $3 per person through Kaleideum’s Museums for All program.
Kaleideum North is located at 400 W Hanes Mill Road in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Kaleideum was formed by the merger of The Children’s Museum of Winston-Salem and SciWorks in July 2016. Kaleideum Downtown (formerly The Children’s Museum) was founded by the Junior League of Winston-Salem and opened its doors in 2004. Kaleideum North (formerly SciWorks), also founded by the Junior League of Winston-Salem, opened its doors as the Nature Science Center in 1964. The two museums merged into a single organization with a new mission – “Inspiring wonder, curiosity, and lifelong learning in our children and community through interactive play and discovery” – and the goal of eventually opening a new building in downtown Winston-Salem.