[Spotlight] Paint The Town Pink
By: Chelsea Daniels-McGirt
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and it is time to paint Winston-Salem pink! The second annual Pink Crawl will be held downtown Winston-Salem from Oct. 24 to 27, according to an email from the chair of Paint The Town Pink (PTTP) Magalie Yacinthe. Breast cancer is a serious disease that has taken many lives, but there are plenty of men and women who are still fighting. Yacinthe wrote that PTTP is a series of pink-themed events to help raise awareness about breast cancer, as well as raise funds to support local underserved residents.
Yacinthe wrote that PTTP came to be when “a team of millennials” worked with Susan G. Komen Northwest NC to bring it to the area in 2017.
“In 2018, a committee of young Winston-Salem professionals learned that the local office was closing (along with the annual race and pink tie ball) but wanted to continue the legacy to help our local men and women battle breast cancer,” Yacinthe wrote.
According to the Facebook event page, PTTP begins with the Be-YOU-tiful, a Kendra Scott Jewelry Affair, on Oct. 24 at FEARLESS, located at 1002 Brookstown Ave., from 6 to 8 p.m. Attendees can enjoy wine and refreshments while they shop and support the cause, as 20 percent of sales will benefit PTTP. Pink Trivia Night, will begin at 9 p.m. on Oct. 25 at the Foothills Brewery, located at 638 W. Fourth St. On Oct. 26, Pink in the Park Dining at Bailey Park will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. and attendees can bring their friends, families, lawn chairs and picnic blankets for an evening of food vendors and entertainment, where a portion of all sales go to PTTP. (If it rains, the event will be moved indoors.) Then rounding up the entire weekend will be the Pink Crawl, starting Oct. 27 from noon to 2 a.m. This event will include a bar, restaurant and small business crawl in downtown with highlighted meals and drinks to honor breast cancer awareness.
“Some local businesses will donate proceeds of sales to the cause. Some bars will feature pink drinks and specials for anyone wearing Pink Crawl T-shirts,” the Facebook event page states. “Join us as we all wear our pink shirts and other paraphernalia to promote unity in the fight against breast cancer.”
Yacinthe wrote that 70 percent of the funds raised would go to the Office of Cancer Health Equity at Wake Forest Baptist Health to help provide free mammograms, co-pays, and visits for local and underserved patients. The remaining 30 percent of raised funds will go to the National Treatment Assistance Fund for Northwest NC Patients “to help those who have been newly diagnosed, and will also provide approximately $300 per woman.”
According to the Facebook event page, purchasing a ticket will get attendees an official 2018 Pink Crawl T-shirt, access into all pink events, enjoyment of a community concert at no cost and the opportunity to see Winston-Salem “light up pink.” Attendees may also choose to make a generous donation where 100 percent of the funds raised go to helping people in the community. General admission is $20 (plus a $2.85 online service fee and the sale ends Oct. 26) or Pink Buddy group passes for four that are $60 (plus a $5.28 online service fee). Late registration (after Oct. 26) is $25. Check out the Pink Crawl Winston-Salem: Paint the Town Pink Eventbrite page and Facebook page for more details and information.