Youth Grantmakers in Action Award Grants to Youth-Led Projects
Youth Grantmakers in Action (YGA) recently announced 13 grants totaling $7,218 to support youth-led projects in Forsyth County. This year the group granted more than ever before thanks to the generous support of the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation, which invested $5,000 for a second year in YGA’s grantmaking program to support youth philanthropy in our community.
The following awards were presented at YGA’s recent grant celebration event:
2019 Grant Recipients
- The Collective: $500 to produce a play about sexual assault
- Forsyth Backpack Program Club: $1,088 to host a food packing event at Forsyth Country Day Middle School
- Forsyth County Young Leaders: $300 for summer enrichment sessions
- Golf Girls: $250 to host a week-long golf clinic
- Mandela Society: $300 to organize a Diversity Day to combat stereotypes
- Middle College National Honor Society: $630 to provide clothes and food to homeless individuals
- North Star Leadership Council: $300 to host the alternative prom
- Reagan Girls Service Club: $750 to host an egg hunt for blind children and their families
- Reagan High School Care Club: $640 for a spring literacy camp at Bolton Elementary
- THETA Awards and Scholarship Fund: $1,010 for a high school theatre awards gala and to raise scholarship funds for a theatre summer enrichment program
- Walkertown High School FCCLA: $500 to purchase shirts and ties for graduating senior boys
- Walkertown High School FCCLA: $750 for a food pantry backpack project
- Walkertown High School FCCLA: $200 to provide meals and craft activities to Ronald McDonald House
YGA is a diverse group of youth ages 15-18 from all over Forsyth County who meet to gain leadership experience, represent the youth of the community, and grant money to youth-led community projects that will have a positive impact on the community.
A program of The Winston-Salem Foundation, YGA was formed in 2005 from the vision of Dr. Nathaniel Irvin and the financial support of Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust. Since its first round of grants were made in 2006, YGA has granted over $35,000 to youth-led community projects.